Thursday 12 July 2012

Into the world of website promotion

Since lawnching (see what I did there?) the lawn calendar application on Sunday 24th June, I've been in a mixture of support and intense learning mode.  Our content manager, Phil, has been busy adding new content to the site including tips and remnders, and in doing so, found our first bug which was promptly fixed and applied.  I've also patched in some minor additions such as a google +1 button and the google analytics hook.  This leads me neatly to the intense learning.

This application is my first live internet application, so I admit to being a complete beginner with regards to promoting a new site.  I knew it had something to do with search engine optimisation (SEO), but was pretty naive with regards to what that actually involved.  I stumbled upon a blog how to build a niche site which explains in quite some detail how the blog author and others achieved top 10 search engine rankings for their sites.  I probably learned something new with every sentence! I additionally found a whole host of resources that I previously didn't know that existed.  I think the key thing that I have learned is that it is very easy to spend a lot of time promoting a site, but if you get some of the fundamentals wrong, you will be wasting a lot of time and effort.  Much of the material that I have read make reference to the '4 golden rules', which once understood, do make a lot of sense.

The initial intention after launching the site was to get 'cracking' on V2 which would have features that allowed for personalisation of content.  However, I've taken the decision to spend some time working on another project whilst this application 'finds it's feet'.  I'll still keep posting blog post on here, as and when I discover something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment